Does taking ateninol cause raise in uric acid levels?

Does taking ateninol raise uric acid. It seems like ever since I was put on this drug I am always getting gout
Posted Sun, 8 Dec 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 27 minutes later
Brief Answer: Not known to cause gout, still discuss...... Detailed Answer: Dear sir Use of atenolol is not known to be associated with gout or increased uric acid. However high blood pressure, diuretic therapy, alcohol, stress and aspirin therapy are known precipitants of gout attack. Since a, hitherto unknown, side effect of a drug may appear in a given patient, we are never dogmatic about attributing a side effect to a particular drug. I would recommend you to discuss this with your internist/ cardiologist and if no other cause is found, atenolol may be changed under his guidance. Feel free to discuss further. Sincerely Sukhvinder