Does taking Zyrtec reduce the effectiveness of my birth control pill?

Does taking Zyrtec reduce the effectiveness of my birth control pill? I take the "mini pill". I take the Zyrtec for uticaria hives.
Posted Mon, 6 Aug 2012 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 20 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
Zyrtec contains Cetirizine as active ingredient and XXXXXXX pill contains progestin. Drug interaction between this two chemicals have not been mentioned in any literature. So you can take this and the effectiveness of XXXXXXX pills will not be reduced.
Hope I have provided the information you needed.
Wish you good health. Take care.
Follow-up: Does taking Zyrtec reduce the effectiveness of my birth control pill? 5 minutes later
Thank you for your help. I have just begun to take the XXXXXXX pill, and wanted to know more than the clinic PA could tell me.

My next question is : Alzheimers runs in my family on my father's side. My grandmother died form it, and my aunt is currently showing symptoms. I have had several episodes of memory lapse myself. Am I at great risk also? What can I do to protect myself?
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 4 hours later
Good to hear from you.
Those who have a parent, brother, sister or child with Alzheimer’s are more likely to develop the disease. The risk increases if more than one family member has the illness. When diseases tend to run in families, either heredity (genetics) or environmental factors, or both, may play a role. Overall, the relative risk of Alzheimer's disease for those with at least one first degree relative with dementia was 3.5.
There is no cure for AD. Medicines are used to help slow down the rate at which symptoms become worse. Donepezil, rivastigmine, galantamine and Memantine (Namenda) are the drugs used. All these are prescription medicines.
I advice you to consult physician and then doctor will decide which drug is best for you after examination.
Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Wish you good health.