Does strong taste sensitivity cause soreness and burning in tongue?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have had a stronge TASTE sensitivity to things that have a strong odor. I cleaned out the storage shed and I could taste mouse habitat for the rest of the day. We cleaned the chimney - I could taste creosote all day. Thanksgiving was burnt garlic. Also - the tip of my tongue is sore and burning. Do you have any idea what this is from? Thank You - XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 25 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Could be Vitamin B 12 deficiency. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The sensitivity to taste that you have could be related to dry mouth, vitamin B 12 or zinc deficiency, nasal infections like sinusitis, heavy smoking or intake of certain medicines. You can start taking Vitamin B 12 and zinc supplements, sucking on sugar free candy or chewing sugar free gum. If there is no improvement even after 2 weeks then do consider consulting an ENT specialist for a detailed examination to detect cause. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal.