Does steroid treatment to increase height affect bones?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
Hi. When I was younger I had steroid treatment to increase my height, as steroid is known to increase growth hormones in adolescent boys. Now I have anxiety this treatment had effect on my bone, and the effects are permanent. Do bones renew and make new cells every ten years ? If this is true for ALL BONE this would make me happy. But then I read online that some bone cells live for 25 years..... Kindly advise.
Posted Sun, 12 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 27 hours later
Brief Answer: Do not worry. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXX Thanks for your query. First thing I want to say that do not worry or take any stress regarding the treatment you had taken earlier. Relax yourself. The treatment you had taken earlier had no any permanent effect on your bones. A bone completely remodels itself and replaces all of its cells every ten years or so. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Wishing you healthy life... Take care

Follow-up: Does steroid treatment to increase height affect bones? 2 hours later
Dear Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Thank you for the answer. The problem is an organ replaces it's cells by making new ones from existing cells. And steroids have ability to increase cell formation. So in the pool of existing cells, it's possible new cells has actually come from steroid formed cells? And thus steroid legacy continues. This is my understanding, and it's causing me stress. I wish you could advise. Thanks and Regards, XXXXX

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 19 hours later
Brief Answer: You are absolutely all right. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXX, Now steroid have no any ability to increase cell formation in your body. Forget all these things, you are absolutely all right and there is no any existing pool of steroid affected cells. Hope this will help you. Warm regards.

Thank Dr XXXXXXX I agree that there is no existing pool of steroid affected cells. But there possibly is some cells right now that came from it (cell division) So in a way, current cells are a continued legacy from steroid affected cells. Can you give me information to show otherwise? (As my background is in business field) Best Regards XXXXX

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 25 hours later
Brief Answer: Effect weans off after some cel division. Detailed Answer: Hi, Effect weans off after some cell division. So the present cells are free from any steroid effect. Relax yourself and forget about this.