Does spleen enlargement cause middle back pain?

CT scan shows mild spleen enlargement. should i be worried about this? i have chronic middle back pain and i am not sure if this from an infectious disease (prostatitis) or because my spleen is inflamed or if mild splenomegaly can cause such discomfort for over a year now. Life threatening? possible causes are infectious disease and toxins for enlarged spleen? Why should i go and see a Hematologist?
Posted Thu, 27 Feb 2014 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 19 hours later
Brief Answer: Unlikely to be serious Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for your query. This much mild spleen enlargement is seen in many persons who are otherwise healthy. It is usually of no consequence. Nor it can explain back pain. The back pain is unlikely to be prostatitis and prostatitis is anyway uncommon in someone of your age. The back pain may be due to muscle or bone origin, due to some trivial injury, wrong posture, strain on spine, etc. You may get a complete blood count done, if that is normal you can skip the hematologist consult. However, please discuss these with your primary doc, as he or she is the best judge on the next step. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer further followup queries, if any.