Does solitary rectal ulcer syndrome cause miscarriage?

General Surgeon
I am 29-female-56 kgs- had soliatary rectal ulcer syndrome last year, have recovered and so feel ok. Medication for srus went on for 8 months. For the past 4 months i am not on meds. I had a miscarriage in mar which automatically got terminated-it was 6-7 weeks pregnancy. But even before that miscarriage i had this vague pain on right side of my waist-sometimes like muscular. Have done 2 ultrasounds-blood test urine-all normal..need advice..looking forward
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 2 hours later

Well treated Solitary rectal ulcer syndrome (SRUS) does not effect early pregnancy.As you have received eight months of treatment ,ulcer has completely healed, even the treatment for it would not affect the pregnancy .For the last four month you are not on any treatment,so chances of it effecting early pregnancy are all most nil. It is well documented and scientifically proved that certain percentage of early pregnancy end up as miscarriage for unknown cause or reason .Vomiting & nausea is common in early pregnancy in majority of women. Ultrasound do not reveal any gene or chromosomal defect in early pregnancy. Its main role in early pregnancy is to confirm pregnancy ,whether live or still ,intrauterine or ectopic,single or multiple.Blood tests are also generally normal. Vague pain any where in the body can occur in any person at any time, most time it is not serious.

So take it in positive manner & hope for better future . I do not think you have any thing abnormal. Just eat and exercise well. Plan for pregnancy, take Folic Acid supplements from now on.

‘Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries, “Wish you Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery”
Follow-up: Does solitary rectal ulcer syndrome cause miscarriage? 2 hours later
Dear Dr Bajoria
Thank you for replying me so promptly, I really appreciate it. Your reply has given me relief and I agree with you. But, you did not mention about the pain I am having on my right waist-the area where we keep our hands..I don't know if I am correct but I suppose it is called the flank. I feel it is more muscular like a runner's cramp or something. As I mentioned, I have already gone through 2 Ultrasounds..the last one was some 3 months back. The study was Normal. I also had a TVS done..that also came out to be normal. Thyroid and Prolactin test(done 45 days back) were normal too. I got my Blood Test done yesterday. It is as follows:
*TLC- 5300
*Blood Urea-20.70
*Serum Creatinine-1.10
*Serum Uric Acid-3.76
*Serum Bilirubin Total-0.70
*Serum Bilirubin Direct-0.50
*Serum Alkaline Phospahtes-49.50
Yes, I am now planning for a family once again. As you advised i'll try and remain happy and cheerful. I always have this fear of illness and also have doubts of what if the reports are wrong. This time my fear was for gall bladder stone or a kidney stone. I know its rather foolish of me to imagine such things when the reports are normal..I promise after your advise, I'll remain stress-free..
I'll be looking forward to your earliest reply on the same. Many thanks once again.
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 8 hours later

Good to hear from you again.     

Your Ultrasound & all blood reports are with in normal limit. Your hormone levels are also normal. It doesn`t appear to be any stone.

Pain in right flank can be due to variety of reasons. As your blood test & ultrasound doesn`t suggest any thing. So it appears to be case of some muscular pain(myalgia), it will subside with in few days.

If it doesn`t subside with in few days get your routine urine & stool examined. Some time worm infestation or mild sub-clinical infection may also cause such pain.

Plan your family without any hesitation or fear.

Hope I have answered your query.

Wish you a Good Health.