Does smoking marijuana before otoplasty increase the risk of bleeding prior surgery?

does smoking marijuana before otoplasty increase the risk of bleeding prior surgery?
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

Marijuana contains Cannabis, which is a hallucinogen. Its effect on the bleeding physiology is associated with the increased heart rate that is it known to produce. Hence, if an aggravating factor like surgery, buerger's disease etc is there, then the risk of bleeding increases as does stroke.

I would suggest you completely stop taking this, especially for your operation, as it is a major surgery and involves the use of general anaesthesia that itself has many risks and risk would multiply with cannabis.

Get professional help and counselling if you cannot come of it.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla, MBBS, MD
Consultant Physician.