Does smoking cause blood in the mouth and dry nose?

I am a 33 y/o female with a history of smoking. I have no cough, SOB, etc. Ever since I had my 2nd daughter 4 years ago I have had R shoulder pain (almost neuropathic in nature). My concern is that I have recently started to wake up with some blood in my mouth. It is dark not bright pink. Once I brush it is gone. It does not happen daily or throughout the day. My nose has been dry also. My concern is that it may be something more. Even though I feel just fine. I am very scared it may be lung cancer. I started smoking when I was 16 and quit with all my children and since have only smoked socially and I know this doesn't matter either. any thoughts?
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 48 minutes later

From the history, symptoms of blood in mouth when you wake up and dry nose, does not look like any lung pathology which causes blood in sputum during cough and there are other respiratory symptoms like shortness of breath, painful bleeding etc also present.

From your symptoms it looks like some localized gum bleeding or nasal bleeding which is also leaving the nose dry. It can be due to infectious diseases, sinus infection, low relative humidity of inhaled air (particularly during cold winter seasons) or due to gum diseases causing gum bleeding.

Spitting blood that comes up with a cough is commonly associated with lung cancer, bronchitis, and pneumonia. These may cause spitting up of bright red blood, rust-colored mucus or mucus that contain streaks of blood.

I suggest you to get an ENT examination for your nose and throat and get a dental examination done to rule out any gum disease as well. To completely rule out any respiratory or lung cause (although less likely), it is best to get a CT chest done.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.