Does smoking cannabis affect PCOS? Need low GI diet

Does smoking cannabis affect PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrom)? Also what is the best diet my doctor and nutritionist said a low GI diet.
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 59 minutes later
Smoking cannabis does not affect the disease progression in PCOD(Poly Cystic ovrian disease ) but may affect the fertility by decreasing the chances of implantation of a fertilized egg in the uterus.
It can also decrease the libido and affect the sexual performance. The only beneficial thing is that it might help with the mild pain that is commonly associated with polycystic ovaries.
For PCOS, a low carbohydrate diet preferably foods with a low glycaemic index are preferred along with adequate exercise to avoid weight gain.
Select breads, grains and cereals that are as unprocessed as possible.
Avoid those carbohydrates that trigger more hunger or cravings (e.g. refined flour , sugary foods)
Drink at least 8 glasses of non- caffeine fluid per day.
Have fruits and vegetables at least 5 servings a day to increase the immunity of the body.
Limit foods high in saturated and trans-fats (i.e., whole milk and products, butter, red meat, fried foods, XXXXXXX desserts, etc.). Select mainly monounsaturated fats (i.e. olive oil, canola oil, nuts) and omega 3 fats -fatty fish (such as bangda, rohu, sardines, and surmai), flaxseed, and nuts.
An individualized diet strategy under the guidance of your dietitian shall aid in lowering weight, decreasing the insulin resistance and also to improve your over all health.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.