Does smoking affect cholesterol levels?

Jun 2014

hi my cholestrol is 5.7 over all. how can I bring it down and does my smoking affects my cholestrol significantly? if so apart from champix what can help me to quit? many thanks
Posted Wed, 19 Feb 2014 in Cholesterol
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Nicotine replacement therapy Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for asking question. I would help you to solve your query. It has evident that smoking increases the serum cholesterol level. In your case serum cholesterol level is more than 5.7 mmol/l, which is borderline high risk. It may be due to smoking. Decrease smoking would definitely help you to control serum cholesterol level. If you want to quit smoking, you can use nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) in which you can use some drugs like bupropion or varenicline(champix). You can also use nicotine chewing gums, gel, nasal spray or nicotine patch. All these nicotine supplements would help you to control withdrawal symptoms and decrease smoking. Just count the number of cigarettes you smoke in a day and use these supplement when you could replacement the cigarettes with these NRT or when craving for cigarette is less. With NRT, gradually you would able to quit smoking, but you have to maintain your motivation that the key. Regards Dr. Abhishek Kapoor Psychiatrist