Does smokeless tobacco cause swollen lymph nodes under the jaw?

I was using smokeless tobacco and developed swollen lymph nodes under the jaw. Symptoms lasted about 3 weeks: I quit using smokeless tobacco and made an appointment with a local ENT. The ENT was unconcerned with any possibility of cancer and did not scope my throat. He stated that the lymph system in my neck was "upset" due to a recent bacteria infection in my mouth that had been treated as ANUG by my Dentist. The ENT assured me that it was not oral cancer and prescribed antibiotics. 7 days later I was symptom free. (quitting tobacco is very difficult) : On day 8 I tried smokeless tobacco again. Within 24 hours the symptoms have returned. I again have discontinued the use of tobacco. Have I developed an allergy to tobacco? Or is this something very serious?
Posted Thu, 27 Feb 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 41 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Sir, Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX Well looking into your problem I would like to tell you that I would agree with your doctor that the lymph nodes were non cancerous as they regressed on doing the antibiotic course . Your smoking of smokeless tobacco and development of ANUG ( Acute necrotizing ulcerative gingivitis ) are linked and there are many case reports suggesting a relation between the two . So, it is a probability that you are developing it again . I would advise you to avoid tobacco smoking which will cure this problem. Take care. Dr. Shruti
Follow-up: Does smokeless tobacco cause swollen lymph nodes under the jaw? 48 minutes later
Dear, Dr. XXXXXXX You stated that It is a probability that I am developing ANUG again after only 24 hours of tobacco use? This is causing my neck/lymph area soreness? I am still taking Augmenten that was prescribed by the ENT. Last dose taken yesterday. I realize that cancer is not likely due to the fact that the symptoms did lessen, disappear, and then return. However, there is something else at play here. If the answer is to simply discontinue the use of chewing tobacco. I am ALL FOR IT. No problem. I just don't want to be overlooking a more serious condition that should be treated before it progresses any further. Also: I have been a smokeless/chewing tobacco user for 25 years.
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 47 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Sir, Well at this time this seems the only precipitating factor so its better to avoid it . It doesnt look that any other cause can do it. Dr. Shruti