Does small reduction in eltroxin dose will make any difference?

Does small changes in eltroxin dose (6 mcg daily)in a ptient with hypothyroidism make and difference ? Patient is already on eltroxin
Posted Tue, 10 Dec 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 14 minutes later
Brief Answer: Need more info Detailed Answer: Thanks for the query Usually we do not administer such small increases in dosage, please furnish me with the following details so that I can help you better 1. What is the TSH as of now? 2. How long have you been a hypothyroid? 3. Do you have any other issues related to heart, diabetes, etc? 4. What was the reading of the TSH when the dose increment was made? 4. What is the total dose of eltroxin are you currently on? Please get back to me, I am awaiting your reply Regards
Follow-up: Does small reduction in eltroxin dose will make any difference? 1 hour later
I am on 137.5 mcg of eltroxin my tsh was .3 if i reduce to 125 my tsh shoots up to 3 and i feel terrible. Can i reduce doseage by 6 mcg per day ?
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 3 hours later
Brief Answer: You can reduce Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query As see you are doing well with Eltroxin 137.5mcg you can continue taking that dose, I dont understand the rationale behind reducing it by 6mcg, however 6 mcg reduction will still keep the TSH at normal range, please re check the TSH levels after 3 months I hope I was of help Regards
Follow-up: Does small reduction in eltroxin dose will make any difference? 4 minutes later
I feel well with 137.5 but after a few weeks my tsh goes to .3 etc so doctor has asked me to reduce slightly. I feel unwell at lower dose ? Thats why confused
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 2 minutes later
Brief Answer: TSH not to be repeated every few weeks Detailed Answer: Hello I suggest you to reduce the Eltroxin by 6 mcg and repeat the TSH only after 3 months, repeating it early will lead to erroneous results. Regards