Does sleep deprivation and inhalation of diesel smoke cause muscle weakness and contribute to inguinal hernias?

In addition to the already know causes of Inguinal Hernias would sleep deprivation, inhalation of diesel smoke from poorly running equipment in the cold, cause muscle weakness and be a contributing cause of inguinal hernias?
Posted Tue, 24 Dec 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 49 minutes later
Brief Answer: No very direct relationship or connection Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query, I am afraid sleep deprivation actually has nothing to do inguinal hernias. These are pathologies that could arise either due to a malformation (like in the young with a persistent canal connecting the inguinal region to the testes, leading to inguinoscrotal hernias), or due to excessive intraabdominal pressure (excess coughing, carrying too much heavy loads, a lot of force demanding manual activities that need the abdominal muscles to contract. Smoke and other pollutants however have not been described to be associated or to aggravate inguinal hernias. They could have effects mainly at the lungs causing chronic lung diseases. Chronic cough resulting from the effects of the pollutants to the lungs, can cause long lasting coughing, that might aggravate inguinal hernias. But a very direct relationship really does not exist. thanks and hope this helps as I wish you the best of health. Please do feel free asking further follow up questions in case of need. I would be honored making my humble suggestions. Kind regards Dr Bain