Does skipping or over-exercising affect the menstrual cycle?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
I am 21 years unmarried... My first period was when I am 13 . upto 17 years I had irregular periods ie.., I get periods once in 2 or 3 months, this continued for 3 years..from my school days I had anemia but my periods are normal at that time..but irregular periods problem started from college days..last year I had cyst in my right ovary..after using medicines it had disappeared within 3 months ie.., in december in 2011. upto feb 2012 i had normal periods.. but from march I had periods with light flow.. and in the month of may I had my period with light bleeding throughout the month ..then in july I had consulted a gynecologist,I had undergone all the tests like thyroid ,diabetes ,urine examine etc.., the report is normal..then she advised me to take regestrone(5mg) for 3 months and I am also taking dexorange syrup once for every two days for anemia and taking all the nutritious diet.. after using that medicine I had my periods regular for 6 months..in between these 6 months I had once again ultra sound scan the report is normal... last month I had taken antiboitics for 5 days for some infection....but this month I hadn't got my period. from last 20 days I started walking for 1 hour in the morning and skipping for 10 min in the evening... I also had gastric trouble but not in high level..
WHETHER SKIPPING OR OVER EXERCISE CAUSES ANY CHANGE IN THE MENSTRUAL CYCLE OR ANTIBOITCS??

HAVING IRREGULAR PERIODS LIKE THESE CAUSE ANY AFFECT ON MY HEALTH AFTER MARRIAGE ?? i AM VERY MUCH WORRIED PARTICULARLY ABOUT THIS..
IF I HAD MY PERIODS REGULAR FOR ATLEAST FOR 1 YEAR BEFORE MARRIAGE IS IT ALRIGHT FOR ME TO GET PREGNANT?
PLEASE PROVIDE ME SOLUTION REGARDING THESE DOUBTS... i AM WORRIED ..AND ALSO I REQUEST YOU TO SUGGEST SOME HEALTH TIPS FOR THESE IRREGULAR PERIODS....

THANK YOU..
Posted Thu, 13 Jun 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 33 minutes later

According to your description the possible cause for your problem is hormonal imbalance.
-Change in daily activities like exercise, dietary changes, recent illness, antibiotic usage etc. can affect the hormonal levels leading to irregular menstrual cycles.
-Irregular periods may not always affect the fertility. If the cause is found and treated you may not have any problem in getting pregnancy.
-If you have at-least three regular periods before marriage, the changes of pregnancy will be almost equal to a woman with normal periods.

Your change in physical activity and recent illness could be causes for your delayed periods.
As all your reports are normal, no need to worry.
You continue your activity, maintain ideal weight for height, take nutritious diet, adequate rest.
Possibly you will get your periods soon.
If you do not get periods even after one week, consult gynecologist once and take tablets for withdrawal bleeding.
And with her suggestion you can go for hormonal evaluation including free testosterone levels, FSH and prolactin levels, if not done before.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Does skipping or over-exercising affect the menstrual cycle? 3 days later
Thank u for your advice..It was very helpful..Does gastric trouble has any affect on menstrual cycle?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 8 minutes later

You are welcome. Usually minimal gastric trouble may not affect the menstrual cycle.
But if the problem is chronic, that may affect the food intake, can alter the nutritional status and can lead to weight changes. And thereby it can affect the menstrual cycle.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.