Does skin react to the sun when one is taking Methadone?

does your skin react to the sun when you are on methadone?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Methadone use is not commonly associated with sensitivity to sunlight.
The common side effects seen are nausea, vomiting, stomach upset, dizziness, decreased alertness, irregular heart beats, shallow or slow breathing, fatigue, etc.
Sensitivity to sunlight is seen in less than 0.05% patients who are put on methadone for drug addiction treatment. This reaction is more common among females.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Does skin react to the sun when one is taking Methadone? 8 hours later
If say a person is in that 0.05% , what should they expect? And is it ,if they are that%, always going to be like that as long as they are on methodone?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
If you are among those rare cases then there is a sunburn like rash and burning sensation on exposure to sunlight.
Avoiding going in sun and using a sunscreen of spf>3 will be helpful.
The photosensitivity is mostly genetically controlled and tolerance is rare. So as long as you are on treatment with methadone, this sensitivity to light is likely to persist.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.