Does sinusitis causes face swelling,headache,pain in face and tooth and what is the treatment?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I've had a fever for the last few days varying from 101 to 103. One side of my face is fairly swollen, can't tell if the other side is or not. It hurts to chew on that side and I've been trying to keep it from going to my chest. It hurts my head so much to cough - headache with the pain in my face and tooth area on the left side. I don't know if it's sinus or a tooth, I've never had facial swelling like this before, and have had both sinus trouble and sensitive teeth before. I've taken motrin sinus and that helps the pain and the fever, but the swelling just keeps on going. Any ideas?
Posted Tue, 7 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 33 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Detailed Answer: It is hard to determine what it is but it can be tooth,sinus or even parotid gland inflammation and if there is swelling with fever this may be significant inflammation which require antibiotic treatment. Motrin sinus may relieve pain but it wont cure the cause. YOu should see dentist or ENT specialist and you should not ignore it and leave it to pass spontaneously since it can progress without antibiotic treatment. Till you do this, place some cold compresses on swelling and continue with ibuprofenum.Also, drink plenty of fluids. You should also do some blood tests to see inflammatory markers. Rarely,such swelling can indicate something more serious,but try with these measures first,and if this isnt helpful you should do more detailed work up such as CT scan. Wish you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards
Follow-up: Does sinusitis causes face swelling,headache,pain in face and tooth and what is the treatment? 4 minutes later
Is there any possibility this could be mumps? I never had them as a child. I also was very achy for a couple days when this first started on Sat. and Sun.
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Hi Detailed Answer: Yes,it can mumps,especially if you arent vaccinated.but it can also be any other inflammation of parotid gland or obstruction of salivary gland ducts. If you cant identify toothache then this is probably parotid gland issue. sinus issue wouldnt be manifested with unilateral swelling.
Follow-up: Does sinusitis causes face swelling,headache,pain in face and tooth and what is the treatment? 7 days later
Thanks for your help. I went to my Dr. and got on an antibiotic and had improvement in a couple days, also have gone to the dentist and he found a tooth and had a nerve that had died and also the tooth had cracked allowing extra infection. That's where the pain and swelling were coming from along with all the other symptoms. Waiting to get the tooth pulled. God bless you, Kristi Larson
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 2 hours later
Brief Answer: hi Detailed Answer: I am glad you feel better. It will be much easier when tooth is pulled out. Wish you happy holidays.