Does sinus pressure causes giddiness and headaches?

ENT Specialist
my husband went to urgent care last week due to dizziness and nausea. they gave him augmentin and medro prednizone 7 day dose pack. Said he had fluid in middle ear and sinusitis and that was cause of dizziness and dizziness caused nausea. He was feeling better gor the most part but today dizzy and nausea after work. Also has headache over both eyebrowsm Would sinus pressure cause dizziness and head pain/pressure over both eyebrows? How bout light sensitivity?
Posted Thu, 6 Feb 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 23 minutes later
Brief Answer: More details please, see below. Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query, Fluid in the middle ear can cause giddiness and sinusitis can cause headache. I need the following details to better evaluate his condition. 1) All details about giddiness. How did it start, Is it more in any particular position, Does it increase on head movement, any hearing loss or noise in the ear. 2) History of cold , blocked nose, headache, facial pain before the episode of giddiness. 3) Details about headache, History if irritability to sound and noise ? Waiting for your response, Dr Rajkishori.
Follow-up: Does sinus pressure causes giddiness and headaches? 45 minutes later
what is giddiness? he gets dizzy when turning head or standing up after sitting/laying down. he ssid his ears feel plugged. yes cold couple weeks ago eith plugged nose. buggers are yellow and thick. plugged up not runny. headache pain/pressure over eyebrows toward outside. sensitivity to light also
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 54 minutes later
Brief Answer: sinusitis seems likely. Detailed Answer: Hi again, Thanks for providing those extra details. It is very clear to me that your husband is suffering from rhinosinusitis - infection of the nose and the sinuses. Headache is because of sinusitis, but the dizziness is due to clogged eustachain tube secondary to nasal congestion/block. I would start him on another course of antibiotic to take care of the infection. But most importantly he requires a nasal decongestant. Decongestant will open up clogged nose, sinuses and ears. When the sinuses remain open they drain well and infection subsides quickly. He can use any over the counter decongestants like otrivin. He should instill 3 drops of otrivin in both his nostrils 3 times a day for 5 days. For proper method of instilling the drops please read the crimp.10 minutes after instilling the drops he should do steam inhalation for 10 minutes. He should inhale through the nose and exhale through the mouth. Apart from that he should drink 3 litres of warm fluids everyday, he should avoid cold foods and air conditioning. Over the counter pain killers like ibuprofen or tylenol pain relief can take care of headaches; use them as and when required. Regards, Dr Rajkishori.
Follow-up: Does sinus pressure causes giddiness and headaches? 18 minutes later
Thank you so that causes the dizziness and light sensitivity? how about claritin? will that help? and flonaise?
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: flonase will help Detailed Answer: Hi, Flonase will help, it will reduce oedema inside the nose. Claritin is an antihistamine. It is recommended when there is running nose, sneezing and also in allergies. I do not think it will help him unless he also has allergies of the nose. Light sensitivity can be caused by sinusitis. Dizziness is caused because his ears are clogged. Hope he gets well soon, Regards, Dr Rajkishori.
Follow-up: Does sinus pressure causes giddiness and headaches? 6 minutes later
what causes the nausea and vomiting?
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 3 minutes later
Brief Answer: dizziness Detailed Answer: Hi, Dizziness due to any cause leads to nausea and vomiting. Regards, Dr Rajkishori
Follow-up: Does sinus pressure causes giddiness and headaches? 11 hours later
went to ent and she said no fluid in his ears and no sign of infection in nose...what could it be? she said the only thing that causes light sensitivity is migraine
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 46 minutes later
Brief Answer: See below for details Detailed Answer: Hi again, Migraine can cause sensitivity to light and sound. Migraine can cause nausea and vomiting as well. Migraine can explain all his symptoms of nausea, vomiting and headache. Only dizziness remains to be analysed. The way you have described his dizziness i feel that it looks like he has a condition called bppv. It is the most common cause for dizziness and commonly associated with migraines. Bppv can be easily treated with medicines. I hope your husband has recieved medicines for migraine. He will require metoclopramide for the nausea, Ibuprofen or paracetamol or ergot alkaloids or tryptans for migraine. For his dizziness he will need labyrinthine sedatives like prochlorperazine. He will need a prescription for all of the above. I am very pleased that you have seen a doctor. There are certain limitations of trying to diagnose patients only based on symptoms. Feel Free to follow up. Regards, Dr Rajkishori.
Follow-up: Does sinus pressure causes giddiness and headaches? 9 minutes later
what is bppv?
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 7 hours later
Brief Answer: benign paroxysmal positional vertigo Detailed Answer: Hi , Bppv - benign paroxysmal positional vertigo. It is the most common cause of vertigo. It is caused due to disease of the inner ear where the organ for balance is located. Common causes are head injury, infections of the inner ear, prolonged inactivity, stress, lack of sleep, migraine. But majority of times the cause remains unknown and is classified as idiopathic. Typically in bppv vertigo is precipitated by movements of the head. .Usually associated with nausea and vomiting. It can be diagnosed by Dix Hallpike test which is routinely done in all ENT opds. It is nothing but a test of balance. It can be controlled by medicines like vestibular sedatives and betahistine. With medicines it will settle quickly in a few days. Typically medicines are given for 3 -4 weeks. Regards, Dr Rajkishori.
Follow-up: Does sinus pressure causes giddiness and headaches? 2 hours later
what about labetynthitus?
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 53 minutes later
Brief Answer: severe vertigo. Detailed Answer: Hi, I guess you mean labyrinthitis. Labyrinthitis produces very very severe and debilitating vertigo. Patients find it very difficult to even get out of bed since the vertigo is very violent. It is associated with severe retching and vomiting. Vertigo can last upto 6 weeks. Even after 6 weeks some amount of residual vertigo can persist upto several months. Regards, Dr Rajkishori