Does shortness of breath relate to the palpitation and chest discomfort ?

ENT Specialist
I have been to the ER for palpitaions and chest discomfort they told me I am having PVCs and PACs but when I have multiple during a short period of time I have trouble catching my breath..the cardiologist cant see me for a month but I feel this is serious. am I overreacting?
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 2 hours later

Thanks for the query,

After reading your history, it is clear that you had an episode of palpitation with chest discomfort, and it is obvious, to get apprehensive for this, no you are not overreacting,

You will have to take this seriously, in cardiac problems, the second opinion is must.

The episode of palpitations with chest discomfort signifies many possibilities like it may an attack of ectopics, Ventricular tachycardia, of just anxiety related.

What you will have to do now--

1- get a 24 hours holter monitoring done.
3- General blood picture.
4- CT scan thorax.

These 4 investigations will help your cardiologist to reach a diagnosis. If all these comes out to be normal, then chances of anxiety related symptoms are there and this condition is called as hyperventilation syndrome.

In the mean time, follow these precautions--

1- Avoid taking any alcohol, smoking, even coffee;.

2- Take vitamin and mineral supplementation.

3- Daily aerobic exercises.

4- Change your life style, switch over to anxiety free environment.

Dont worry you will be all rite.

Hope this will help you and I am ready for future follow ups ( if any).