Does shooting pain in shoulders after accidental fall be due to slipped disc?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
I slipped down a small flight of stairs today - landed on my left arm. My neck and left arm is sore but manageable. I am more concerned that when I use my left arm to hold something, I get a shooting pain. It hurts to raise my arm above my head and I can pick up my arm 45 degrees but hurts if I got further. Just trying to figure out if I pulled muscle or something.
Posted Sat, 4 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Fatbardha Sejdini 56 minutes later
Brief Answer: The pain is bcz of muscle/joints slipping-injury.. Detailed Answer: Hi, The shooting pain you are experiencing is due to the injured muscles and bones-joints when you landed on your left arm. I'd suggest to - keep your left arm at rest for some more days. - Do not weigh things with that arm. - take paracetamol/ibuprofen/ketoprofen for the pain - apply cold compresses to the arm joints for the next couple of days - apply otc analgesic cream at night In a 2 days time, you'd be able to see if there is any hematoma or other local injury localized. Wish fast recovery! Feel free to ask me other questions you might have at the next follow up! Dr.Bardha