Does sever cold and cough lead to lymph node enlargement on the neck?

Hello We have a worry about our toddler 3y8mo old girl. She has had swollen lymph nodes now for nearly 2 months. They are on both sides of the neck, more or less where the jaw ends and, little under the jaw. We have shown it to the doctors, they have touched it and looked at the throat and saying this is connected with the tonsils which are also enlarged quite a lot. Also one oncologist touched them and said that these swollen glands are nothing serious pinpointing to the fact that they have somewhat shrinked in size and they are oval shaped. Yet there have been no further tests. When it started out one of those nodes was at least 2cm in size but now it is less though not disappeared. This all happened with a serious cold, cough, etc. the rest of the symptoms are gone, not the nodes. Now she has got another cold, this time with no fever, just some cough and running nose and sore throat and it seems to me that they are kind of back again, hard to say if they are larger but not smaller either than before the previous cold went away. Although smaller than they were at the peak. Do you see also this as normal or if not then what tests should we look for (ultrasound?). We are of course worried of lymphoma and other serious stuff, people keep saying that this condition is OK with smaller childer. Yet the longevity of this makes to worry. Can this be that directly connected with the elarged tonsils and colds coming up - going away? With best regards This probably to explain better the location of swollen glands. We can feel th under the skin in back of the ears, under the chin and lower jaw as a swollen oval little mass. XXXX
Posted Sat, 18 Jan 2014 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Jawahar Ticku 51 minutes later
Brief Answer: Lymphadenopathy Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX This is certainly a state of concern. Though you have been told that there is no seriousness but the presence of nodes behind the ears along with other nodes you have described is is to be observed keenly. There are many causes of lymph node enlargement in the body one of the chief causes is infection with bacterial or viral nature and do definitely disappear after treatment. Because of the running nose and cold these lymph nodes may be secondary to viral infection of which I have a strong feeling. For your satisfaction you should check for axillary nodes as well and those of groin to see that they are not also enlarged. They should be observed for a week or so and if you do not find them subsiding we need to investigate further. At this time I will not advise you more investigations except a routine blood count with peripheral smear examination. I will repeat saying that the baby should be fine as the viral infections are self limiting. I will be happy to answer your more queries if you have any. Truly, Dr. J. Ticku
Follow-up: Does sever cold and cough lead to lymph node enlargement on the neck? 21 minutes later
Is this meaning there is a concern of cancer? There are two nodes only one on both sides.
Answered by Dr. Jawahar Ticku 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: Lymphadenopathy Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for reverting. At this time I give 95 percentage to viral nature. For another 5 percent all the possibilities have to be kept in mind. I hope the baby falls in the 95 percent group. Truly, Dr. Ticku