Does sciatica cause problems in sex life?

Hi, I have had a fusion, S4/L5 about 4 & 1/2 years ago. Since then i have suffered with sacroiliac pain at various levels. I had a coarse of glucose injections which seemed to improve my pain somewhat. However my insurer has denieghed any further follow up. I suffer continually with sciatica down my left leg, ankle & foot. Cramping is common in these areas. Sciatica is now down my right leg, not as consistent as the left. My question is that i am not preforming satisfactorily as a husband in the bedroom. I am 70 years old, & disappointed, not to mention my wife. Is this likely to be a result of my lower back troubles?
Posted Sun, 2 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 27 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Sir, Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX Well looking into your problem I would like to tell you that yes it can be possible that sciatica is leading to this as it is a very annoying , radiating pain thus making it difficult to have an intercourse . Secondly I will advise you to get your blood sugar levels checked as sometimes this can be a symptom of diabetes . If it is due to sciatica adequate pain relief will be of utmost importance to help you out . You will need to see your doctor for this . Opioid analgesics like tramadol will have a good relief if your treating doctor agrees. Take care. Dr. Shruti