Does repeated measurement of BP at one time give accurate result?

Mar 2016

I just went to emerg for neck pain but the doc seemed more concerned about my Bp 144/79 then proceeded to take it many times in a row till it lowered is that accurate. Makes me uneasy as I have had hypertension in previous pregnancy
Posted Fri, 28 Mar 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer: measure BP 1 to 2 times on alternate days Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us. One to two times measurement of BP in a day is quite good. However, repeated measurement of BP at a time DOESN'T produce accurate result. It is better to measure BP 1 to 2 times on alternate day to evaluate and rule out PIH (Pregnancy Induced Hypertension) as you have past history of that. It should be properly treated to avoid risk and complications, associated with PIH. Kindly, consult with your Obstetrician regarding this. In addition, you must take salt restricted diet with more vegetables, drink more water, take adequate bed rest in left lateral position and prescribed medication only. Blood sugar and urine examination should be done. Hope, it helps for your information. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query. Wish your good health and successful motherhood. Regards, Dr Soumen For future query, you can directly approach me through