Does removal of mirena increase blood pressure ? Are there are any natural remedies to control blood pressure ?

High blood pressure after XXXXXXX removal I am a white female with a history of high blood pressure. I was on lisinopril but switched to methyldopa about a month ago. Was doing fine on it as far as I know until I had the merina removed. The day of the apptment for removal my blood pressure was normal. About a week later I took my blood pressure and it was around 167/113. Since that time my bp has not normalized. It has been consistently above 150/100. with a high of 180/120. Is there something natural I could take to lower my blood pressure quickly? Could my high bp be from the removal of the merina which made my hormonse out of whack? Should I go to the ER or wait to see my doc on Mon?
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

First of all Mirena IUD is used very carefully in people who have a high blood pressure. It is better to avoid using hormone releasing IUD’s in patients with a medical history of high Blood pressure. Since the Mirena IUD has been removed, the high blood pressure that you are having now seems less related to the Mirena removal.

BP readings of 180/ 120 mm Hg are quite high and you need urgent medical attention for this. You are already taking Methyldopa but a calcium channel blocker like Amlodipine needs to be added on a daily dose as soon as possible and it should be taken by prescription only after a careful physical examination by a physician.

I suggest you go to the ER and get it prescribed rather than wait for Monday. Also incorporate some lifestyle changes in your routine. these include avoidance of smoking, alcohol consumption (if any), restricting the amount of salt, sodium and caffeine intake and eating more of fresh fruits and vegetables. If you are overweight then you should also try to lose weight by exercising regularly.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.