Does rapid increase in heart beat cause coughing with history of surgical treatment of sinus and thyroid ?

ENT Specialist
Question
I have been feeling my heart beat abnormally for awhile now, but recently it has increased to everyday. Sometime it makes me cough. In the past year I have had sinus surgery and thyroid surgery. I am 33 and about 130 lbs.
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for the query

Sensation of abnormal heart beating could be due to various reasons in your condition, it could be either due to variations of the thyroid hormones or due to cardiac related problems.

If you are on any medications post thyroid surgery and the hormonal levels are not monitored, then there are chances of the irregular heart beat following the increase levels of the levothyroxine in the body.

Cough followed by abnormal heartbeat could be seldom due to acid reflux. But, whatever the case may be, you need to consult a good physician or a cardiologist as the cardiac disorders needs to be ruled out with an ECG or Echocardiography and also thyroid profile to assess the level of thyroid hormones.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more doubts you are welcome.

Follow-up: Does rapid increase in heart beat cause coughing with history of surgical treatment of sinus and thyroid ? 17 hours later
Thanks, I only had a partial removal of the Thyroid and I am not on any medications for that. Could that still be the issue?

Hi XXXXXXX

Welcome back

Yes, there is a possibility of the deranged thyroid hormones causing irregularity of heart beat. As I had already mentioned in my previous post that there are various reasons which can cause this irregular heart beat.

You require a detailed check up with the previously mentioned investigations to zero in on the prime cause of your problem. Hence you need to consult a good Physician who can help you out.

Wish you Good Health

Dr. Naveen Kumar