Does radio therapy have any effect on kidney and other organs?

The doctor who did the surgery, suggested for RT as the disease has been detected in 1B stage. I am able to know that there are different types of RT treatment and which has different cost. I would like to know what are the difference types of Radio Therapy treatment available in India and what is approximate cost. what are the advantages and disadvantages of these treatments? Also I would like to know what would be the side effect for this treatment? Does RT has any effect on kidney and other organs? Could you please guide us ?
Posted Wed, 6 Nov 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please refer below

Detailed Answer:
thanks for your query.
I gather that your mom has got stage IB grade 1 endometrial cancer with no other adverse factors like age >60, lymphovascular invasion, large size, etc.
In this scenario, there are 2 options- to just observe or give radiotherapy. RT only prevents some recurrences but not the survival probability. As the prognosis is quite good, observation is also an option.

Now, if we decide for RT, I would recommend brachytherapy, which is given by a catheter placed in the vagina. It gives focused RT and hence less complications. Some people may add external RT to the whole pelvis which will have more complications and not necessarily required in her.

Short-term side effects for radiation delivered to the pelvic area include feeling tired, skin irritation or redness of the skin, loose bowel movements or more frequent bowel movements, the urge to urinate more often or discomfort when urinating, having a bloating sensation, nausea and decreases in the number of cells in blood. All of these are much less in brachy. Kidney is not likely to be affected as it is situated much higher up.

Long-term side effects that could happen after radiation therapy to the pelvis include changes in bowel or bladder habits, narrowing of the vaginal canal, and the very rare chance of a new cancer forming due to the radiation therapy.

Lastly, cost is extremely variable with setups varying between govt, private no-profit and corporate hospitals. It may range from Rs 5000 to 1 lakh.

For further information, you can go through WWW.WWWW.WW
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer further followup queries, if any.