Does "questionable vague area of irregular density adjacent to the left cardiac border measuring 1.8 X 1.7 cm." mean I have lung cancer ?

Oncologist
Question
x XXXXXXX shows a questionable vague area of irregular density adjacent to the left cardiac border measuring 1.8 X 1.7 cm. Possible overlapping shadows. CT scan needed. After reading a lot on line, I believe due to the size of this it is lung cancer. 45 year old smoker, no symptoms, have actually gained weight
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Lung Cancer

Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 2 hours later

It would be difficult for me to suggest you without seeing the actual X XXXXXXX

However, as you are a smoker, CT Chest should be done in any case.

On considering to be lung cancer, in early stage lung cancer, there may not be any symptoms.

But then, I would like to know few more things which would help me in suggesting you better:
1. May I know the reason for the Xray done? Was it a part of routine checkup?
2. Do you have any symptoms like excessive coughing, difficulty in breathing, change of voice, enlarged lymph nodes in the neck or any region of the body?
3. Were any other investigations done?

You can mail me the X XXXXXXX and the reports of any investigations done to YYYY@YYYY with subject:ATTN: Dr Indranil Gosh. Please confirm the mailing of the X XXXXXXX and the reports by writing back here as to reply you at the earliest.

I would like to provide you with specific suggestions after going through the X XXXXXXX and the reports of any investigations if done.

Awaiting your response.

Regards.

Follow-up: Does "questionable vague area of irregular density adjacent to the left cardiac border measuring 1.8 X 1.7 cm." mean I have lung cancer ? 1 hour later
The chest x XXXXXXX was done as part of a pre op work up. I don't have any symptoms. There have been no other investigations done, but to get a CT scan. Now the primary doctor who received the report told me I could still have my operation on Thursday. I only have a hard copy of the x XXXXXXX not an emailable form.

Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 10 hours later
Hello again,

Thanks for your reply.

You can get the operation done but get the CT scan also.

X XXXXXXX can be scanned and emailed. You can send it to the same address as I mentioned in the previous reply.