Does prolonged Thyronorm use lead to health complications?

My husband is taking thyronorm 125 mg since 5 years now and has been told will have to take this medicine lifelong. Does this have any side effect?
Posted Tue, 18 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vaddadi Suresh 50 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes, Thyroid hormone can have side effects. Detailed Answer: Hi, XXXX. Thank you for choosing WWW.WWWW.WW for your health related query. Thyronorm contains thyroid hormone which is essential for the body. On the other hand, long term supplementation/excess dose can have some deleterious effects like palpitations, hypertension, anxiety, fatigue, weight loss, osteoporosis etc. It is recommended to keep the required dose to minimum and have calcium supplementation to reduce its effects on bone. You must get T3 and T4 levels tested every 6 months to modify the dose as required. Sincerely hope I have addressed all your concerns, please do feel free to revert back to me if you need any clarifications. Wishing you good health. Regards.