Does pregnancy need to be avoided while on course of gentamicin injections ?

Question
hello. It is already 3 months that I was treating vaginal streptococcus agalactae, at last I had blood in urine, I did urine test and there was found escheria coli, i began to treat both of them, and now streptococcus agalactae passed to urine tract and escheria coli to vagina. Doctor wrote Gentamycin 120 mg twice a day for 7 days and macmiror suppositories. i received 3 antibiotical treatment course, and i dont know whether to do this treatment or not. Help me, please. I want to have the second child but still postponing it because of infections. please, give an advice.
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Getting Pregnant

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

Streptococcus agalactae is a common pathogen of the gastrointestinal tract. It can spread to secondary sites - including the vagina. It is very rare to find this organism as a cause of UTI but can be found in some women.

E. coli on the other hand, is a normal inhabitant of the rectum can cause bacterial vaginitis, if it is spread to the vaginal area.

Since you are thinking of pregnancy, it is important that tests for S.agalactae come out negative first because it can effect the development of fetus in pregnant women.

The treatment of choice for both is penicillin or ampicillin/cotrimoxazole. Since you are recently on course of antibiotic continue with it. I suggest you to get a vaginal swab, urine culture test and a PAP smear to completely rule out these infections after completion of antibiotic treatment. If reports suggest persistence of infection, then discuss with your doctor and a course of ampicillin or penicillin (depending on culture sensitivity testing) may be needed.

I would also suggest you to get your male partner tested for these two organisms (get his urine as well as urethral discharge tested). Sometimes males may be harboring the infection and you may have been infected through him. In such cases transmission to female partners is recurrent.

Hope my answers are adequate. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate to write back to me. I will be happy to answer them.

Follow-up: Does pregnancy need to be avoided while on course of gentamicin injections ? 2 hours later
My husband gave semen test and no organism was found, does he still need to test for urine and urethral discharge or it is enough? Thanks for your expanded answer.

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

Thanks for getting back.

Seminal discharge examination is not sufficient and your husband needs examination of the urine and urethral discharge as well. I suggest you to get these tests done of your husband after consulting a urologist.