Does potassium level drop if I have pneumonia ?

Does your potassium level drop if you have pneumonia ?
Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 42 minutes later
Hi there, thanks for asking. That is a good question. One of common reasons for the drop in the potassium level is secretions of fluids from the body. It can occur by perspiration in pneumonia, or secretion of fluid from the lung, nose and other parts of respiratory system. Fortunately, its management is easy especially when the drop is mild (the potassium level is close to 3.5). It is enough to take some foods which have more potassium like banana, tomato, etc. There is no need to worry about it when its level is more than 3. Let me know if you have any other question. I wish you a good health.
Follow-up: Does potassium level drop if I have pneumonia ? 7 minutes later
Thank.... How about the platelet count? If that's low ? Same sign ?
Hi again. Most of the time, a brief change in platelet count can happen following infection and is of no clinical significance. If it is really low, it could be a sign if idiopathic trombocytopenic purpura which is a problem which often can happen several weeks after a pneumonia or other infections. And it is accompanied with small colorful spots on skin. Is it so for you?
Follow-up: Does potassium level drop if I have pneumonia ? 3 minutes later
I see. It's for my wife actually ..... Our family doctor told us to go to Emergency and after chest x XXXXXXX they said it was pneumonia and when we left they have us the blood work paper and I noticed those two were low so that's why I was asking ...
Are you Persian by the way ? Which country are you talking to me from ?
Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 16 minutes later
Hi again. It happens that in the routine blood test, platelet count is reported to be a little low. As you mentioned, I am a Persian physician. I am in Canada.