Does positive widal test mean typhoid?

i got positive widal test but i am feeling normal so i am suffering from typhoid or not?
Posted Mon, 3 Mar 2014 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 18 minutes later
Brief Answer: Widal Is Not Sensitive. Detailed Answer: Dear Friend. Hi , I am Dr Anshul Varshney , I have read your query in detail , I understand your concern. A positive Widal test has low sensitivity for diagnosis of Typhoid (Enteric Fever). It can be positive in normal persons too , as many a times we have sub-clinical infections due to exposure to Salmonella in outside food. We get infections , Salmonella antibody rises and our immunity kills it , and we don't get clinical symptoms , but Widal Titres are raised So , diagnosis of Typhoid is based on following : 1. Clinical Symptoms and Signs suggestive of Typhoid 2. A Rising Titre of Widal Test. 3. Blood Culture for Salmonella Typhi positive 4. Urine Culture for Salmonella Typhi Positive (Least Used). So, give me details about your Fever and it's duration. Any other symptoms if you have please specify. Also attach the test reports that you have This is my personal opinion based on details available here. If you have any query you may please ask me. Stay Healthy. Dr Anshul Varshney , MD
Follow-up: Does positive widal test mean typhoid? 3 hours later
I am taking antibiotics suggested by my doctor for 5 days.Is it right?After 5 days if widal test titre lowers will it suggest removal of probable typhoid? My exams are coming in April,and i'm worried about this infection.
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 10 minutes later
Brief Answer: Give me details. Detailed Answer: Dear Ayush. I asked you many things. Specially about your fever. I would also require your reports as I mentioned in my last answer. In case you have Typhoid , you would require treatment for 7- 14 days. And once you have been treated widal titres start to decline slowly. They are not uses to check for the cure. I again advice you to share your investigations and give detail history about your symptoms. Even if it is typhoid it is completely curable if taken appropriate treatment. Good Luck.
Follow-up: Does positive widal test mean typhoid? 2 hours later
My body temperature is 98.1 F.No sign of fever I'm presently feeling normal Report Says:- 1/20 1/40 1/80 1/160 1/320 SAL TYPHI(O) + + + + - SAL TYPHI(H) + + + - - PARA TYPHI A(H) - - - - - PARA TYPHI B(H) - - - - -
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 6 minutes later
Brief Answer: Detail Follows Detailed Answer: Dear Friend. If your fever has subsided after antibiotic treatment you should continue the medications. In case you never had fever diagnosis is not Typhoid. Your Widal is positive but as it is not a sensitive marker. It's good that your fever has subsided. Just continue the antibiotic course. You will be fine. It will not effect your studies and exams. If you don't have a further query you may please close the discussion and rate it. Stay Healthy.