Does physiotherapy help in treatment of herniated disc?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My MRI showed a herniated disc in lower spine. My doctor has referred me back to my neurosurgeon, as I just had a synovial cyst removed last January. Will physio help until I am able to see my doctor for further treatment? XXXX
Posted Mon, 6 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 58 minutes later
Brief Answer: Start with physio if there is no pain. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. In herniated disc the main treatment is bed rest along with pain killers and muscle relaxants. Once the pain is relieved physiotherapy helps in long term relief. Muscle relaxants can help with your symptoms if used in appropriate dosage in combination with a potent analgesic. You can get these prescribed from your doctor. Local analgesic gels and hot fomentation may provide a short term relief. You can use analgesic gels like Volini gel. Exercise is not advisable in the times of acute pain. Using an LS contour belt of appropriate size might be helpful in providing support to back muscles. Physiotherapy also plays a major role in treating such conditions. But you can start with it only if there is no pain. It is best to start with back strengthening exercises for now. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL