Does penicillin cause allergic reactions ?

Hello. I took amoxicillan-2500mg last night. I am allergic to penicillin...severly allergic at age 10.. Yet nothin happened. I don't understand.
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Vidya Muralidhar 1 hour later
Hi Brighdin,

Though penicillin group of drugs are very commonly associated with drug allergy, it does not necessarily cause reaction each time you take them.

The time of reaction also depends on the route of administration. What was the route you administered AMOX? Since you have already consumed it and not got an allergic reaction yet, you are fortunate this time. It does not mean you would not have reactions in future.

2500mg of Amoxicillin is not a regular dose, I wonder if you had taken it under the supervision of a doctor. Please let me know why did you take with a known allergy to Penicillins.

If a person is allergic to any class of drugs, he is instructed to avoid medicines classified under the same group. Since AMOXICILLIN is under a penicillin group of antibiotic, it would have been ideal if you would have been more cautious in preventing its use.

Hope this answers your query.I am available for follow ups as well.
Follow-up: Does penicillin cause allergic reactions ? 4 hours later
Hey. Thanks for answering me. I know I was very silly. I am quite depressed. I understand I did a very silly thing and it wont happen again. My tonsils are just swollen with bumps today. That is all.I would not need to go to the doctors about this would I? I was lucky.
Kind regards
Answered by Dr. Vidya Muralidhar 17 hours later
Hi Brighdin,

By this time you should be doing fine as it is been a day since the time you took AMOX. Just do not repeat this.

You do not need to see a doctor for now.

Hope I have been of some help to you during this event.