Does panic attack, tachycardia and low potassium levels lead to adrenal gland disorder?

Rheumatologist
Question
I have had 500+ episodes of "panic attacks" easily in ten years. I am woken out of my dead sleep with my heart racing like a jolt. I have been in ambulance so many times. I had tachycardia with hb 250 beats. they stopped and restarted my heart. I react VERY badly to stimulants. Those put me in ambulance. Last saturday my bp was 220/113 after taking a benadryl. I have had a blood transfusion for anemia. I have had dangerously low potassium...had to be on suppliments. I currently have to take ativan daily. This is a nightmare.
Posted Tue, 24 Dec 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 37 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Madam, From your history I see that you get panic attacks , have high blood pressure , tachycardia , hypokalemia , so there definitely exists a possibilty of adrenal disorder most probably related to adrenal hyperfunctioning like coons syndrome or hypperaldosteronism etc.. A battery of tests like serum cortisol , plasma aldosterone:plasma renin activity ratio . MRI of abdomen will be necessary . In my opinion you need to see an endocrinolopgist for this for complete evaluation and all the hormonal profiles and it needs to be done early . Take care. Dr. Shruti

Follow-up: Does panic attack, tachycardia and low potassium levels lead to adrenal gland disorder? 7 hours later
I saw dr. oz talking about phenochromocytosis...wondering if thats possible. it seems to be everything that happens even the fact of anemia...easy bruising...and no sex drive. I literallly have zero sex drive.

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Madam, Yes there exists a possibility of phaeochromocytoma but hypokalemia is not very common with it but yes evaluation is definitely necessary . A 24-hour urine collection for catecholamines and metanephrines is necessitated . A MIBG scan will also be necessary if these tests are abnormal. Dr. Shruti

Follow-up: Does panic attack, tachycardia and low potassium levels lead to adrenal gland disorder? 19 minutes later
thank you. im going to see my primary tomorrow. they think I have panic attacks. so I hope she will refer me to see someone in endochrinology. She perscribed me buspar on monday. but what if that does to me what benadryl did. im not taking it until I find out more.

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 12 hours later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Madam, In panic attacks hypokalemia cannot be explained . Still I think your doctor remains the best judge of your situation as he has examined you and can interpret the symptoms well . Dr. Shruti