Does oral sex cause burning in the tongue and sore throat? What can a white spot on tonsils indicate?

Hi i gave oral sex to a partner, the next morning my tounge was slighlty tingling/burning, i have now noticed (36 hours after giving oral) that i have a white spot on either side of my tonsils along with a slight sore throat, im very worried this could be something serious, im booked in to get checked out on monday but im looking for a peace of mind. please help
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Puneet Oberoi 49 minutes later
I can understand your concern, well to begin with from the history that you have told me it does look like that you might have contacted a fungal or bacterial infection, the white spots you have mentioned do suggest more towards a fungal cause.
However it is nothing serious and a course of antibiotics will cure you completely.
You do however should go in for your check-up where a throat culture would be done to find the exact cause and specific antibiotics would be prescribed to you.
I will be available to answer your follow up queries as well.
D.Puneet Oberoi
Follow-up: Does oral sex cause burning in the tongue and sore throat? What can a white spot on tonsils indicate? 4 days later
I just need to go into a bit more detail as im extremley worried about getting HIV.
The person i gave oral sex to and recieved oral sex from was a male stranger, i do not no anything about there sexual health. I have started to feel slightly tired and i feel like have something stuck in my throat, The white spots seem to have fallen off my tonsills but the fungus like stuff is still on my tounge, i get a strange burning sensation in my mouth and on my tounge also my lips. Ive very worried about this being something serious like HIV please help
Answered by Dr. Puneet Oberoi 6 minutes later

Thanks for the reply.

I think you are too anxious about it. The chance of transmitting HIV through an Oral sex is extremely minimal. No such experiences reported by the experienced physicians during their clinical practice.

The HIV symptoms do not reflect so early in a person within 36 hours of act. So again, not going in favor of HIV.

A simple check with a primary doctor near your area, getting an antibiotic prophylaxis will save you from other STD infections and HIV as well.

Remember not to have unprotected sex with strangers, take it on a lession as it can worsen your anxiety after the act.

Wish you Good Health.