Does omega-3 fatty acid supplement increase serotonin levels?

Dec 2014

Hi do omega-3 fatty acids supplements increase serotonin levels? thanks
Posted Mon, 1 Apr 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 58 minutes later
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Before proceeding to your question first of all I would like to tell you a little about Omega-3 Fatty Acids. These are polyunsaturated fatty acids found in fish oils and some forms of nuts. These contain Eicosapentanoic acid, Linoleic acid and DOCA mainly. They are considered best for cardiac health. Recent studies have reported that omega 3 fatty acids cause improvement in a lot of Psychiatric symptoms mainly in depression. In some countries these have been approved for add on therapy for depressive disorder. The mechanism of action of these fatty acids is not well understood, but they are thought to cause improved conduction in brain neurons. They are very useful in Depressive disorders, suicidal patients, Post delivery depressive disorders, dysthymia etc.

Now coming to your question.

The omega 3 fatty supplements don't increase serotonin levels directly.

They are used as add on drug in depression because they improve binding of serotonin to its receptors (supported by studies). When antidepressants (which usually increase serotonin) are given with Omega 3 Fatty Acids, best results are seen.

So if you are taking the supplements, these will help you.

Hope I cleared your doubt, I will be happy to answer your follow up doubts if any.

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi M.D.
(Consultant Psychiatrist)