Does oesophageal spasm lead to palpitations,chest congestion,excessive mucous and fatigue?

Hi, I often wake up to a rapid heart rate and feeling of chest congestion. I am a healthy eater and very physically active. I was emitted to ER about five months ago because I was having really bad chests pain and I could not swallow anything for about six hours, it turned out to be an esophageal spasm where my esophagus decided to close up for a while. Ever since this esophagus spasm I have been going through waves where sometimes I have bad chest pain and I seem to always have an overload of mucus and feel like I am congested but the heart palpatations and racing heart symptoms are new. I have also been experiencing routine fatigue which is not normal for me. Thank you for your time and reviewing my question.
Posted Tue, 7 Jan 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: Medications help Detailed Answer: Hi As you mentioned the most likely reason could be oesophageal spasm. The symptoms does not relate to heart and related structures. If you were already diagnosed with oesophageal spasms I am not sure why you were not taken/prescribed treatment for past few months. Let me reassure you that most of these problems are benign and rarely life threatening. I find most of the patients have anxiety, food allergies and acid reflux disease as well. Hence I prescribe them Proton pump inhibitors like Omeprazole (PRILOSEC) and calcium channel blockers like Amlodipine. This helps to reduce the heart rate and the symptoms as well. A symptomatic treatment for two months is good to improve the symptoms. Why don't you meet the doctor and go for medication. Fatigue is a result of the stress that you underwent all these days. Hope this is valuable.