Does ocular motor apraxia cause bedwetting ?

Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Sunil.N 1 hour later
Hi ,

Yes, you are correct in relating XXXXXXX with Bedwetting problem.Children with Ocular motor apraxia will tend to have delay in toilet training and Bedwetting and day wetting.

Not only that children might have other associated problems like:
1)Learning difficulties.
2)Delayed language development.
3)Delayed sitting and walking skills.

Yes I agree with your doctor he will get over from these problems as he grow older.As you had examined him by the urologist and Neurologist they would have ruled out any pathologies causing this problem like Vesico- ureteric reflux disease,bladder , asensory bladder.

You should support him and comfort him during this time telling him that this temporary and he will outgrown,these confidence building is essential.
You can follow the bell/alarm program,these programs are often successful and you can find out more about them from your local community health centre, doctor or pharmacy (chemist).

Using an alarm system leads to a child developing the skills needed to wake during the night when the bladder is full and to go to the toilet.
On average children need to use the alarm for at least 10 weeks, and many need it for several more months.

Hope this helps you.
Follow-up: Does ocular motor apraxia cause bedwetting ? 11 minutes later
Thank you for your reply and opinion.

Luckily we were able to diagnose him at 9 months and recieved early intervention. His learning, speech and fine motor skills are mainstream. His gross motor skills are lacking, but in a minor way.

I am not concerned about the night time wetting as much as the day time wetting. My son does not seem concerned at all. He really doesn't seem to mind having wet pants. We have been trying all year to manage this. We got an alarm watch, we put him on a toilet schedule at school and aftercare, but there is not consistency to when he releases his bladder. so I have reverted back to pull ups.
is there something else we can do for daytime wetting? the summer is coming and he will be in a camp where they wear swimsuits all day. no pull up allowed.
is there a time frame when he will outgrow this? are we talking years?
Answered by Dr. Sunil.N 1 hour later
Hi Again ,

Thanks for your follow up query.

You have to make him aware that how his friends are dry in the day and it is not good to have wet pants around.
You have to retry the things as it the only way to make him control the bladder.Don't lose your hopes.As the milestones will be delayed he will take his own time to control the bladder.

There are medications which can be used but it is not permanent treatment,symptoms recurs as the medications are stopped.
The medicines are:
1)Desmopressin (DDAVP)
2)Tricyclic antidepressants (imipramine, desipramine)
3)Oxybutynin (Ditropan)

Only doctor should determine about the usage of the drugs.I suggest you to consult a paediatrician and after examining him and having a one to one counselling with your son he might prescribe the same.

There is no actual time bound but majority will outgrow by 10 years.

Hope this helps you.