Does not eat solid. Lost weight. Prescribed vitamins. Help?

Feb 2013

Dear Doctor!
I'm XXXXX from Cambodia, I had a boy kid 19 months old now, the problem is: he doesn't want to eat solid food, only want milk ( France Bebe) and (he just eat solid food or rice a few spoon only) , and now he lose weight from 13kgs to 11.5Kgs, I used to discuss with doctor, he advice to use some vitamins, but my kid he really difficult to take medicine, even it's a serum.
Can you advice me how to do? I'm really worry about him.

Thank you
Posted Mon, 15 Jul 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 2 hours later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

In children after the age of 1 year, the appetite is relatively less in comparison to below 1 year.

Before the age of 1 year, the growth rate is high, and their appetite also good in proportion to the growth rate, so they eat without any resistance.

After one year, the appetite decreases as the growth rate is decreases, so there is a normal phenomenon of decrease in his appetite.

This change is a normal thing and is seen in most of the children.

If the child is active, healthy, and playful, nothing to worry.

Another things contributing to their decreased appetite is autonomy and exploration of the environment and surroundings.

Because of development of autonomy, they resist feeding by mother or care taker.

And play and exploration also leads to less interest on food by diverting his focus on other things.

Only the concerning thing is loss of weight from 13 kg to 11.5 kg.

Make his feeds more calorie dense by adding ghee or edible oil.

Feeding kids around this age group requires so much of patience and some tricks.

Don't give excess milk. It should be less than 500 ml per day. Especially don't give milk before his regular meal with solid food.

Concentrate on giving solid food like rice with pulses, vegetables, and leafy vegetables.

Don't force the child while feeding as it causes food aversion, vomitings, and spitting of food.

You can follow these measures while feeding the child:

1.Two spoon method- give one spoon to the child for self feeding and another
spoon to mother.

2.Asking the child to feed himself by giving food in a big plate. They will spill food
while eating, but they enjoy the act of feeding self. This satisfies their

3.Make to sit the child at dining on a high chair along with the other family
members and ask to eat self.

And the food should be prepared in attractive way and there should be a little bit change in taste from one day to another day.

These measures will help to increase his oral intake.

Multivitamin syrups may increase his appetite to some extent, but it is unpredictable.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.