Does nicotine affect semen and could it be transferred sexually?

Excellent

Psychiatrist
Question
My male partner, a mostly non-smoker who occasionally smokes to "alleviate stress", has recently begun using one of those electronic cigarettes during his "high-stress" work hours in the early morning to early afternoon. He said it's helping him "stay alert and focused" while he's thinking/writing several high-stakes business proposals. Today I caught him smoking a normal cigarette too! I was a smoker for many years and have now mostly quit, except for the occasional puff on a cigarette at a party. I have an odd question: I've been feeling very queasy and headachy today, and am wondering if my partner's increased nicotine intake could be in any way "transferred" to me through intercourse? Does nicotine (especially through the electronic cigarette) affect semen at all? I know... it's a strange question.
Posted Mon, 23 Dec 2013 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 2 hours later
Brief Answer: No its not possible Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. E-Cigarettes were considered to be safe and effective when introduced but later it was found that they are not that safe and with time the person starts taking the original cigarette as well.This is what has happened in your partners case. He is at the doorstep of nicotine addiction. He needs counselling and support and has to be motivated to keep away from them. Regarding your second part of the question, no its not possible to get the nicotine transferred through sperm or sex. Nicotine does affect the sperm by reducing their number and motility and vitality but cannot be transferred to the partner. Remember that no question is strange and its always good to ask what ever is there in your mind as it was bothering you. May be you can take some Paracetamol for headache and take some rest with extra fluids. Hope I am able to answer your concerns. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: bit.ly/dr-srikanth-reddy Wish you good health, Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.