Does nebulizer for wheezing problem due to cold hamper my child's immunity?

Pulmonologist
Question
Hi, My 2 year old daughter will start weasing when she gets cold, May be 2 out of 5 times. Doctor asks us to use nebulizer and we do that and it helps. I've two queries: 1. does nebulizer make one dependent on it? I mean will/can it hamper natural immunity build-up? 2. is it okay/ beneficial to use the nebulizer only with sline water without any medicine in it? Thanks in advance
Posted Fri, 27 Dec 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: No it does not make one dependent. Detailed Answer: Dear XXXX, Nebulizer does not make one dependent on it and it is the right treatment for children with asthma. In nebulizer, one may use either levolin or levolin and budecort solution. Since nebulizer is being taken occasionally , very little drug actually enters the blood stream, it is highly unlikely that it interferes with immunity. That too only if budecort is being used.Only in cases of very severe asthma where it is being used excessively over a long period of time, it may some times suppress immunity. Though saline nebulization may help to maintain moisture in the airway but if child is wheezing, it`s better to take nebulization with levolin and budecort.

Follow-up: Does nebulizer for wheezing problem due to cold hamper my child's immunity? 8 minutes later
thanks a lot, one more thing... is it harmful to use the nebulizer for 15 mins at an interval of 2 hours with just sline water 3-4 times a day?

Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 27 minutes later
Brief Answer: No it`s not harmful. Detailed Answer: No it`s not harmful at all. In fact it may help to avoid the dryness in the airways and is helpful in a wheezing child.

Follow-up: Does nebulizer for wheezing problem due to cold hamper my child's immunity? 1 minute later
Thanks a lot

Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 22 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thank you. Detailed Answer: Thank you.