Does my son have thalassemia ?

This ? is about my 3yr old son. Can a hematologist please tell me if there are indications of thalassemia? I had two cousins that died from Cooley's so when my son started having XXXXXXX probs, i wondered. Here is his blood work. I am only including things that were out of range...Hematocrit Low-33, Absolute Neutrophils Low-1420, Immunoglobulin E-High-109,Lymphocytes High-66.4, Monocyte high-9.4, Eosinophil absoulte H-.0620, Lymphocyte High-73, HCT High-41.3, MCV High-86.2, Hgb A1-Low-93.9, Hgb Fetal High-3.2
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
The main problem seen in thalassaemia is severe anaemia associated with dark urine and jaundice with a history of recurrent infections.
The overall blood work of your son is more indicative of repeated allergic disorders with the presence of a chronic infection.
An overall assessment with a detailed examination is needed to find out the source of infection. To remove your doubts about the presence of thalassaemia trait, it is best to have a hemoglobin electrophoresis done to find out any abnormality in the hemoglobin constitutionally.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.