Does my progesterone level indicate pregnancy ?

I just wnt through Ivf, I had a progesterone check and it was 40? Is that a good sign that I may be pregnant?

Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Women Sexual Problems
Follow-up: Does my progesterone level indicate pregnancy ? 5 minutes later
I just went through Ivf, I took a HPT 7 days after a 3 day embryo transfer. I receive a negative result. was it too early/ can I still be pregnant?
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 11 minutes later

Progesterone is crucial for the development of a uterine lining that will support the early pregnancy. From day 15 to 28, the levels vary from 2-28 ng/ml. During the first trimester of pregnancy, normal levels can range from 9-47 ng/ml. So if your progesterone levels are 40 then there are good chances of pregnancy.

However keep getting regular intervals as directed by your doctor. Second trimester levels will range from 17-147 ng/ml and third trimester levels should be between 55 and 200 ng/ml. You may need progesterone injections or vaginal capsules of progesterone if the levels fall.

Home pregnancy test usually turns positive after 10 days of fertilization. So please recheck again after 10 days and if you want to confirm it then you can go for HCG levels in the blood as this test is sensitive enough to pick up results within 2 days of fertilization.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Does my progesterone level indicate pregnancy ? 1 hour later
I went thru my 1st Ivf Procedure, My ebryologist choose a 3 day transfer vs. 5 day transfer. I had 27 follicles, 19 matured, 19 fertilized We transfered 3 eight cell embryo and I only have 3 left to freeze that wnet to blast. Some people feel that the blast stage is better.My questions are:

Is 3day vs 5 day better or worse to acheive pregancy? Why did she choos a 3day when my eggs went to blast? Does this lessen my chance of getting pregnant?

Due to my age,was Transfering 3- 8 cell embryos( I had 4 to choose from) was a good choice or should i have done all 4 to have a better chance because of my age?

After the transfer, I feel slight twinges, pulls, crazy dreams, chest acne( never had it before) and a slight feeling that my cycle is coming. Could that be implantation or symptoms of being pregnant?

Thank you for answering my 1000 questions(Smile)
Follow-up: Does my progesterone level indicate pregnancy ? 16 minutes later
I forgot to mention that Im on progesterone suppostories from the day of my retrieval, could this have any thing to to with my symptoms(se below) 3 or 4 days( ongoing) after my transfer? Or could this be implantation or pregnancy symptoms?

Pulling or slight pelvic twinges
Very vivid dreams
A feeling of cramps, like my Cycle is on its way

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 17 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

If the Home Pregnancy Test is negative, it should be repeated after a few days and serum HCG levels also checked.

I can understand your concern for the 3rd day vs 5th day transfer. There is some difference of opinion about whether it is better to transfer embryos on Day 3 (cleavage stage) or Day 5 (blastocysts) but it depends on the clinic protocol.

Some people do say that 5th day transfer is better but on a 3rd day transfer, embryo returns early to “natural” environment of the uterus and it is less stressful for borderline quality embryos.

However, if a person has a large number of embryos and the best embryos are not clearly identifiable on day 3, we may suggest waiting 2 more days and doing a blastocyst stage transfer. But few embryos may make it day 5. Hence this transfer at 3rd day does not hamper pregnancy.

Embryos with an even number of cells seem to have an edge over embryos with an odd number of cells and considering your age and the physical health, your doctor has made the appropriate decision of transferring 3-8 cell embryos.

It is normal to find bloating, pulling sensation, pelvic pressure and abdominal cramps after the IVF procedure and you can take acetaminophen after consulting your doctor. If you experience abdominal pain that worsens or is not relieved with acetaminophen then it is better to consult your doctor.

Patients who undergo IVF must take daily hormone progesterone for 8 - 10 weeks after the embryo transfer. Progesterone helps thicken the lining of the womb (uterus) which makes it easier for the embryo to implant. Too little progesterone during the early weeks of pregnancy may result in a miscarriage.

The symptoms can be due to implantation and hence will become fine in a few days.

Hope this answers your query.