Does my daughter have to wear glasses for a life time with genteal eye drops?

Ophthalmologist
Question
Hi doctor, my daughter who is 10 year, was give a glasses prescription as below RE- sph +0.25 cyl -0.25 Axis 10 LE - sph +0.25 cyl -0.25 Axis 176 And was given Genteal eye drops for 1 month. Can this be improved? Does she have to wear glasses life time. Please help, as I'm very worried.
Posted Wed, 5 Mar 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 49 minutes later
Brief Answer: There are chances that refractiveerror can improve Detailed Answer: Hello Welcome to Health care magic Iam Dr. Dadapeer K, an Ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye. I went through the glass prescription report attached to the query. Your 10 year old daughter is having refractive error. It is myopic astigmatism. The refractive errors are one of the common eye problems seen in childhood. As the eye ball shows rapid growth during this age the refractive error changes very quickly in this age group. Since the refractive error is less in the case of your daughter it may increase or it may decrease depending on the changes during the growth of the eye ball. Hence there are chances that her refractive error can decrease with improvement in vision. For healthy eyes I would like to provide the following advises, See that she wears spectacles regularly Reading habits holding the books at about 30 cms from the eye adequate illumination in the room Watching television from at least 6 feet and away Regular eye checkup at least once in 6 months to find out the changes in the refractive error Healthy and nutritious diet rich in Vitamin A like having green leafy vegetables, carrot... Genteal eye drops is artificial tear eye drops and you can use it as advised by your doctor. Hope the information is helpful to you and I have answered your query. Thank you

Follow-up: Does my daughter have to wear glasses for a life time with genteal eye drops? 7 minutes later
She was also diagnoside with dry eyes. How can i imporve this?

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 6 minutes later
Brief Answer: She needs artificial tears and Vitamin A rich food Detailed Answer: Hello Thank you for the follow up query. Genteal eye drops prescribed by your doctor is a artificial tear eye drop and it is used as a tear substitute for treatment of dry eyes. Dry eyes in children are usually because of deficiency of vitamin A. This condition can be improved by having Vitamin A rich foods as I had mentioned in my last answer. She needs to use the Genteal eye drops prescribed by your doctor for 4-6 weeks. Hope I have answered your question. Thank you

Follow-up: Does my daughter have to wear glasses for a life time with genteal eye drops? 18 hours later
Will she have to wear specs life time?

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 1 hour later
Brief Answer: She may not require specs for life time. Detailed Answer: Hello Thank you for the follow up. The refractive error in your daughter is less and the refractive error can increase or decrease in children. There are chances that with increasing age her refractive error may decrease and disappear. But chances of increase in refractive error are also present and this depends on the growth of the eye ball. Hence most probably she may not need the spectacles for life time but she needs to be under regular follow up at least once in a year to look for variations in the refractive error. She requires to follow healthy habits which I had mentioned in the first answer and regular follow up. Hope I have answered your questions and the information is helpful to you. Thank you