Does my creatinine and Est GFR level point to something being wrong with my kidney?

Does my creatinine 68 uMOL/L and Est GFR (MDRD) of 83 mL/min point to something being wrong with my kidney?
Attached is the bloodwork.
Posted Fri, 11 Oct 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Aditya Bhabhe 5 days later
Brief Answer:
See detailed answer

Detailed Answer:
Hi there

Thank you for sending in your query.

We derive the GFR from the serum creatinine levels using various estimation equations. These equations take into account factors like age, sex, weight and race of the person.
These equations are truly validated only for GFR< 60ml/min.
So if your GFR is > 60 ml/min then the equation may not estimate your GFR accurately.

So prima facie an estimated GFR of 83ml/min does not imply kidney disease.

If you are really anxious about the number then you could do a 24 hour urine creatinine clearance which gives a much more accurate value of GFR. However I would not push for it.

However if you have any medical condition like diabetes, hypertension, heart disease or a family member with a kidney problem; then you are at a slightly greater risk for developing kidney disease in the future.

If any of the above is present then you could get a Urine R&M and a urine protein/creatinine ratio (UPCR) at a convenient time (i.e., you do not have to rush in to it).

I hope this was helpful.
I would be happy to provide any more clarifications which you may need.

Dr. Aditya Bhabhe