Does my biopsy report suggest cancerous mole?

Male 43 years old. Had 4mm mole removed from right heel. Pathology report as follows: Specimen consists of one portion of brown XXXXXXX skin, measuring 0.9 x 0.5 x 0.1 cm. The margin is inked. The specimen is bisected and entirely submitted in one cassette. (MR). CLINICAL INFORMATION: R/o atypia. SHAVE BIOPSY: Skin, right heel: LENTIGINOUS JUNCTIONAL ACRAL NEVUS WITH MILD FOCAL MODERATE CYTOLOGIC ATYPIA, EXTENDING TO ONE PERIPHERAL MARGIN AND CLOSELY APPROACHING THE DEEP INKED MARGIN." The pathologist indicated "abnormal mole" and "Exc." (See images). I have been referred to a general surgeon. My questions: Is this mole cancerous? Is it worrisome? From the report, what can be said about whether the mole has invaded other tissues? What is the likely follow-up and outcome? Thanks!
Posted Sat, 15 Feb 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 37 minutes later
Brief Answer: Suspicious mole Detailed Answer: Hi I understand your concern regarding your skin problem and I hope I am able to help you in the same. The biopsy report tells us that there is moderate degree of cellular atypia seen in few cells. Now you have already got an excision of the suspected skin lesion done. But in view of the biopsy report, you might need a re excision of the lesion to clear the margins properly. You report points towards just few atypical cells which means that the lesion is not clearly a cancer or is malignant but it has a chance of progressing towards a cancer in time outcome if it is not removed adequately right now. So you need not worry about it. There is very very less chance that there is any outside spread. I would advise you to see a cancer surgeon who can evaluate you completely for regional lymph node enlargement so as to rule out any chances of spread which is even otherwise very less likely in your case. Then a re excision of the lesion can be planned. Hope it helps Dr Geetika Paul
Follow-up: Does my biopsy report suggest cancerous mole? 6 minutes later
Thanks. So if i understood correctly: the mole is not cancer now; I have been referred to a surgeon to remove the mole entirely (since only a shave biopsy has been done so far); it is unlikely that it has spread, but i should ask nonetheless about sentry lymph nodes. Is this generally correct? Thanks again!
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: Atypical mole Detailed Answer: Hi again Yes you are right but as I told you instead of a surgeon, you should see a cancer surgeon in particular who has more knowledge in this regard and can do the re excision of the lesion with proper margins and can also look for sentinel lymph nodes as well. Dr Geetika Paul
Follow-up: Does my biopsy report suggest cancerous mole? 2 minutes later
Thanks very much!
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 3 minutes later
Brief Answer: Best of health Detailed Answer: You are most welcome Wishing you speedy recovery Dr Geetika Paul