Does my ALT levels show liver damage ?

Hi doctor im 32 yrs old, male who recently left the army after 14 years, I'm now a self employed personal trainer and nutritionalist so eat healthy and exercise. I recently had a blood test at the doctors which showed elevated ALT levels of 81. Since then I've had 3 more blood tests. I had an ultra sound which came back fine. My last tests results are as follows. ALT 91, GGPT 26, ALP 81, percentage monocytes 16% high total bilirubin level 11umol/L. I'm a none smoker who lifts weight 5 times a week and runs regular and has for years, weight 13 stone 5"6 in height BMI 20. I used to binge drink heavily whilst a soldier but drink once a month now and have for 4 months. My 3 blood tests have showed ALT at 81 then 4 weeks later 91, 4 weeks later 76, 4 weeks later 55 then 91 again last. what do you think is causing this as is my liver at risk or is it damaged as i feel fine and healthy. Is protein in my diet something to concider and well as my weight training as i heard these 2 thing elevate ALT or am i looking to far into these readings. Any help would be great.
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 1 hour later

Important points of your query:
•     History of binge pattern of alcohol use while soldier (~14 year)
•     In last 4 months pattern of alcohol use is once in a month
•     Increase ALT and ALP level on liver function test
•     Normal USG abdomen report

Normal range for ALT 10-40, AST 10-35, ALP 30-120, GGT 0-40 (IU/L), Total bilirubin 0.2-1.2 mg/dl (3-20 mmol/L).

So from your reports it is clear that ALT is elevated. ALT and AST elevate in presence of liver cell damage. Alcohol consumption is associated with liver cell damage. They usually normalize after stopping alcohol completely. In your case, perhaps binge pattern drinking once per month is not allowing levels to come to normal limit.

In presence of normal USG/total bilirubin and GGT with reduction of alcohol intake only once per month, there is no need to worry much. Levels of ALT will return soon to normal range.

Hope this will help you. I will be available for follow up.

Wishing you Good Health.

Follow-up: Does my ALT levels show liver damage ? 1 hour later
Hi doctor,
The reason for my blood work was to see if i could start a course of anabloic steroids test enanthate as I'm wanting to compete. With my Alt currently 81 but everything else is fine and I'm healthy and fit would this put me at risk. Could it be the weight training thats causing high ALT as muscle damage. Whilst in the Army i drank alchohol every weekend but now its a couple of beers once a month which I'm now gonna stop completely. Thankyou for any help.
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 13 hours later

Good to hear from you again.

AST can be increase due to muscle damage but it less likely to increase in ALT level because of muscular exertion.

I would like you to follow these measures:

- Avoid consumption of alcohol and smoking
- Wait for at least 1 month
- Repeat ALT levels after a month
- Go for anabolic steroids if ALT returns to normal range after discussing your doctor.

Hope this answers your query.

Wish you a good health.

Follow-up: Does my ALT levels show liver damage ? 11 hours later
Hi Doctor,
Thank you for all the answer youve been very helpful if i was to start the anabolic steroids now a course of 8 weeks at 1ml a week with an ALT of 81 would it be XXXXXXX even though all my other levels are fine. thank you again
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 15 hours later

In this condition, I would suggest you to wait till all the liver function test come within normal limit.

Now you have all information and currently only you can decide about this...

Best of luck and wish you good health,