Does multiple sclerosis always cause paralysis?

Question
Does ms always cause paralysis Can you tell me the usual symptoms for ms and if constant pain in legs and low back a sign one may have ms
Posted Sun, 2 Mar 2014 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later
Brief Answer: No, Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. No, not always MS causes paralysis. The possibility of paralysis is less and specially seen in very late stage and severe cases MS causes variety of symptoms Detailed Answer: Hi, thanks for writing back. MS causes variety of symptoms, some of them are mentioned below. Changes in sensation Muscle weakness Abnormal muscle spasms, or difficulty moving Difficulties with coordination and balance Problems in speech or swallowing Visual problems Fatigue and acute or chronic pain syndromes, bladder and bowel difficulties Cognitive impairment or emotional symptoms etc Yes, pain in the legs and lower back can be a symptom in MS. Wish you good health. Regards,

Follow-up: Does multiple sclerosis always cause paralysis? 15 hours later
So should I get checked for ms as I have constant back pain and legs I have seen a neurologist 4 brain MRI and CTL spine MRI also negative what canbe causing pain also in morning feel pins and needles in feet burning sensation in legs and feet sometimes numbness and when I take a warm bath feal tingly in toes plus vibrating sensation sometimes too

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: First consult a Orthopedician Detailed Answer: Hi again, I would recommend a visit to orthopedician first. he after examination can rule out if there is any joint or bone involvement leading to the pain you have. Once, he has ruled out joint related diseases then you can consult a neurologist to rule out MS. Wish you good health regards,

Follow-up: Does multiple sclerosis always cause paralysis? 11 minutes later
Last brain MRI was 12/13 and c and t was 5/13 should I get another MRI to rule out ms I have had these pain last 5 yrs Should I have another MRI if cervical and thoracic to rule out ms brain MRI negative that was done on 12/9/13

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes, Detailed Answer: Hi, Since MS is a progressive disease, it is a better option to get a repeat MRI to rule out the same. Regards,

Follow-up: Does multiple sclerosis always cause paralysis? 4 minutes later
Should I have Brain cervical and thoracic MRI or just the cervical and thoracic

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 17 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes, it could be MS Detailed Answer: Hi, MRI of cervical spine and Brain would suffice. Regards,

Follow-up: Does multiple sclerosis always cause paralysis? 26 minutes later
The MRI of brain was 2 months ago cab changes happen so fast

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Please attach the MRI report Detailed Answer: Hi, If the MRI is 2 month old then please do attach it here on the right side of this query page. I shall have a look at the report and advice further. Regards,

Follow-up: Does multiple sclerosis always cause paralysis? 2 minutes later
Don't have MRI report first MRI of brainwas 2008negative second MRI of brain 2012 negative 3 MRI 2012 brain negative and 4 MRI 2013 negative just had sinusitis the MRI of cervical and thoracic was done May of 2013 both negative don't have any reports so should I still get MRI done I have been going through this since 2008 would ms have shown up already on any scans If not ms what else mimics it

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 23 hours later
Brief Answer: Could not be MS Detailed Answer: Hi, With 4 MRI scans negative for any lesions, its less likely for MS to be the cause for your problems. Other possibilities which go unnoticed in MRI are Lysosomal storage diseases or milder form of demyelinating diseases. Most other brain conditions can be spotted in MRI scans especially when they cause the spectrum of symptoms you mention. I suggest you to consult a Neurologist and discuss above differential diagnosis. Clinical examination could help to arrive at the cause when the MRI fails. Wish you good health. Regards,