Ask a Urologist   »  

Does multiple accidents without warning cause UTI?

My five year old daughter has Turner's Syndrome. A week and a half ago we took her in to the doctor's office to see if she had a UTI. She was having multiple accidents at school with no warning. Her urine culture came back negative for a UTI but she is continuing to have accidents again with no warning. Could she have a UTI or should we be looking at something else?
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 4 hours later

Thanks for your query,

I believe the accidents she has are not related directly to her pre-existing condition.The prime suspect here is UTI unless ruled out by repeat culture test with good sample collection techniques.

UTI can also be caused by agents other than bacteria. Viruses like Polyomavirus, Cytomegalovirus or Adenovirus and by fungus like Candidia albicans ( thrush ), Histoplasma and other protozoans can also cause UTI where the urine culture will be negative.Detailed physical examination can give some clues into further investigations or proceedings.

Other simple causes to be ruled out are constipation , anxiety ,drinks or foods that contain caffeine, which increases urine output and may also cause spasms of the bladder muscle, or other ingredients to which the child may have an allergic reaction, such as chocolate or artificial coloring .

I would consider urine accidents in a 5 year old not much an serious issue but if continues for long then may be needing to be examined and investigated for any kind of structural abnormalities in the pelvis and the urinary tract.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.