Does metoprolol cause hair loss with dry hair?

I am taking metoprolol tablets and my hair is falling out and it is very dry is this a side effect?
I has an operation for twisted bowel in Oct 12 and had problems after the operation my heartbeat was irregular I was in intensive care unit for 6 days following the operation. I take the following meds Felodipine Tab 2.5mg 1 per day, Ramipil tab 10mg 1 tab per day, Asprin 100gr 1 per day and metoprolol 1/2 tab moring and evening and since taking metoprolol I have this really bad hair problem.
Posted Thu, 11 Apr 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

Yes, Metoprolol does cause hair loss in some. This happens due to decreased blood to the peripheries including scalp.

Do apply MINOXIDIL 5% solution to the scalp once daily in the morning to prevent the hair-loss. Minoxidil is a cutaneous vasodilator. This dilates the blood vessels in the scalp and improves the blood circulation preventing hair fall and helping in regrowth.

Hope, I answered your query.

Please let me know if there are any other concerns.

Follow-up: Does metoprolol cause hair loss with dry hair? 2 hours later
Thank you for your reply do you think there may be another tablet that could take and it not may cause the hair problems
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 14 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

All other medications of the group to which Metoprolol belongs, do cause hair fall. I would consider this the safest and effective medicine for your ailment.

Do use MINOXIDIL; it will nullify the effect completely.

Wish you good health.