Does metformin cause yellow ovals to form in stool? Is pregnancy related to this?

Does metformin cause yellow ovals to form in stool?
I'm 12weeks pregnant and have noticed these interesting ovals for the past few weeks.
I take metformin and thought it could be related?
No pain associated -just weird stool.
Posted Fri, 15 Jun 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the query
Metformin is an oral medication called a hypoglycemic, which is used to lower blood sugar in patients with diabetes. Metformin can also be used to treat polycystic ovarian syndrome. Like any medication, metformin should be used under the careful supervision of a doctor, particularly during pregnancy. Overall, metformin appears to be safe for the mother and baby in most cases, although insulin is often a more effective medication for diabetics.
Side effects of metformin are Diarrhea; gas; headache; indigestion; nausea; stomach upset; temporary metallic taste; vomiting.
Your weird stool doesn't appear to be due to intake of metformin but since you don't have any pain or any other symptom,just wait and watch.
I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me foe any other query.
Thanks and best of luck.